Word stress is your magic key to understanding spoken English. Native speakers of English use word stress naturally. Word stress is so natural for them that they don’t even know they use it. Non-native speakers who speak English to native speakers without using word stress, encounter two problems:
- They find it difficult to understand native speakers, especially those speaking fast.
- The native speakers may find it difficult to understand them.
In this lesson we look at the most important aspects of word stress, followed by a short quiz to check your understanding:
- Understanding Syllables for Word Stress
- What is Word Stress?
- Why is Word Stress Important?
- Where do I Put Word Stress?
- Word Stress Rules
- Word Stress Quiz