The biggest demonstration was in Rio de Janeiro, where 100,000 people joined a mainly peaceful march.
In the capital, Brasilia, people breached security at the National Congress building and scaled its roof.
The protests are the largest seen in Brazil for more than 20 years.
In Brazil’s largest city, Sao Paulo, about 65,000 people took to the streets.
- Brazil protests spread in Sao Paulo, Brasilia and Rio (arunbabyveranakunnel.wordpress.com)
- Biggest protests in 20 years sweep Brazil – Reuters (reuters.com)
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities (nbcsports.msnbc.com)
- Brazil’s Protests: A Resource Guide (riogringa.com)
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities (sfgate.com)